The Royal Gibraltar Yacht Club was founded in the year 1829 by officers of the regiments then stationed in the garrison. In the Gibraltar Chronicle for June 25th, 1829, under the heading of “Arrivals during the last 24 hours” there appears the following:
Eng. Cutter (yacht) “Arrow”, Commander McKenzie, 5 days from Cadiz and 2 from Tangier, for Gibraltar. Passengers Lieuts. Clarke and Bayley and Asst. Surgeon Gillice.
The Yacht Eng. Cutter “Rover”, Commander Tryon, 4 days from Cadiz and 2 from Tangier, for Gibraltar. Passengers Lieuts. Bell and Talbot and Asst. Surgeon Brown.
These officers appear to have formed themselves into a Club, for the Gibraltar Chronicle of July 15th of the same year contains a notice as follows:
“The members of the GIBRALTAR YACHT CLUB will hold a meeting at Griffiths Hotel on Friday the 17th inst., at one o’clock p.m. when any officers of the Garrison wishing to join the Club are requested to attend.”
By order of Commodore McKENZIE
- GILLICE, Secretary
The old minute books and records have long been lost and the records of the club commence with a despatch dated 27th October, 1837, from the Admiralty to the Governor of Gibraltar, transmitting a warrant authorising the vessels belonging to the Club to wear “a St. George’s or White Ensign and a cornet or burgee”.
All visiting yachtspersons and their boats must be registered by contacting the RGYC Secretary. Please contact us for more information regarding the marina and how to arrange for your visit.